Written by: Hannah Litz
Date: March 17, 2020
Not sure where to start the conversation about coronavirus and COVID-19 with your little ones? No worries! PBS has you covered with a collection of resources for calming any fears your child may have about catching the bug, debunking what they may have heard on the playground, and reassuring them that everything will be okay. Empower your students to keep themselves and others safe from germs by practicing the healthy habits outlined in this article by educator and parent, Deborah Farmer Kris.
The article is complete with resources for parents and clips of your favorite PBS Kids show characters practicing healthy habits like hand washing, resting when ill, and catching coughs and sneezes the right way.
PBS is your trusted source for information as an educator, parent, or life-long learner. The PBS Parents site has resources for everything from craft ideas to finding books with empowering role models to age-appropriate chore ideas.
Resources for Parents & Caregivers
Sign Up: Daily eNews for Parents & Educators
• Drawing with Mr. J helps students learn to understand and express their emotions through mini drawing challenges
• Subscribe to our daily enews for activities to keep kids engaged and learning during school closures
• How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus
• WOSU Classroom: Learning At Home Resources
• PBS Kids for Parents: Preschool Learning at Home
• Meet the Helpers shows kids what they can do to help stop the spread of germs
• Daniel Tiger for Parents App
• Destressing during the Coronavirus
• Daily PBS Kids newsletter with fun activities and info for families
Resources for Kids
Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood:
• Doctor Daniel Game
• In My Bathroom Game
• Play at Home with Daniel Tiger App
• “Rest is Best” Strategy Song (video)
• Germs Germs Go Away (video)
• Abby and Elmo’s Potty Plan! Game
• Step by Step Handwashing with Elmo
• Elmo and Rosita: The Right Way to Sneeze! (video)
• George the Germophobe (video)
• ABC Scrub With Me!
Resources for Educators: View Learning At Home