Google Apps and Extensions are powerful tools and enhancements allowing Google Chrome users the flexibility to add additional functionality to the work they do in the Google Chrome browser. In this course, participants will examine the differences between Google Apps and Extensions providing a firm understanding of what each tool provides and when to choose to use it. Additionally, participants will learn where to find apps in the Chrome Store to easily add them to their account. Finally, participants will be introduced to the value of evaluating apps and extensions. Users who understand this process have the skills necessary to build a library of digital tools which serve the instructional needs of all of our students.
Contact Hours: 5
- Examine the differences between Google Apps and Extensions
- Understand the purpose and reasons to use Google Apps and Extensions in their classrooms
- Know how to find and install Google Apps and Extensions
- Evaluate Google Apps and Extensions to support successful implementation in the classroom
Work through the resources provided below. Already know the content? No problem! Skip to #5 and submit your evidence of learning from the provided Choice Board. Receive a Proficient or Accomplished rating (grading rubrics are provided for each module) from the instructor and you are awarded a badge and certificate of attendance. Graduate credit is available, as well!
1. Bell Ringer:
Let’s get started! Complete the pre-assessment to help provide context and focus to your learning experience.
2. Setting The Stage:
Watch Setting The Stage For Google Apps and Extensions. Think about how Google Apps and Extensions will enhance your digital tools library and give more options to your students to create digital projects in the classroom.
3. Play List:
Explore the resources provided below.
- What is the Google Chrome Store?
- Chromebook Classroom: Extensions and Web Apps
- Install and Manage Apps
- Ways to Evaluate Educational Apps
4. Integration In Action:
Using Google Apps and Extensions provides teachers and students additional productivity tools to produce products which support teaching, collaboration with our peers, and communication with our community. Using Google Apps and Extensions in the Chrome browser in collaboration with additional Google Apps for Education productivity tools allows teachers and students flexibility to create authentic projects which can be shared with as few as one person or to everyone in the world. As you work through each of the links below, please keep in mind the following questions.
What are a few specific lesson ideas mentioned by educators in the videos?
How do the enhancements of Google Apps and Extensions support student learning?
What are the advantages of using Google Apps and Extensions?
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Formative Assessment Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Math Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Creation Tool Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Student Tool Apps
- 5 Google Extensions that Will Get Teachers Hooked!
- 5 Favorite Chrome Extensions for Educators
5. Choice Board:
Choose an assignment from the choice board to complete and submit as evidence that you have mastered the information and applications found in the course. Refer to the Choice Board Evaluation Rubric and the Guidelines for Submitting Your Assignment to ensure your evidence contains the necessary elements.
When you have completed your evidence of learning, finalize the purchase process at the bottom of this page.
Take a moment to reflect on the work that you’ve accomplished and where you will go from here.
- How does Google Apps and Extensions enhance the Google Chrome experience for teachers?
- How does Google Apps and Extensions enhance the Google Chrome experience for students?
- What is the biggest challenge you saw or foresee when including Google Apps and Extensions in your lessons?
- Exit Ticket – Show what you know!
Ready to earn your badge and get credit for this five-hour course?
If paying with a Purchase Order, please email the PO to firstname.lastname@example.org