Google Apps and Extensions are powerful tools and enhancements allowing Google Chrome users the flexibility to add additional functionality to the work they do in the Google Chrome browser. In this course, participants will examine the differences between Google Apps and Extensions providing a firm understanding of what each tool provides and when to choose to use it. Additionally, participants will learn where to find apps in the Chrome Store to easily add them to their account. Finally, participants will be introduced to the value of evaluating apps and extensions. Users who understand this process have the skills necessary to build a library of digital tools which serve the instructional needs of all of our students.
- Examine the differences between Google Apps and Extensions
- Understand the purpose and reasons to use Google Apps and Extensions in their classrooms
- Know how to find and install Google Apps and Extensions
- Evaluate Google Apps and Extensions to support successful implementation in the classroom
- What is the Google Chrome Store?
- Chromebook Classroom: Extensions and Web Apps
- Install and Manage Apps
- Ways to Evaluate Educational Apps
Using Google Apps and Extensions provides teachers and students additional productivity tools to produce products which support teaching, collaboration with our peers, and communication with our community. Using Google Apps and Extensions in the Chrome browser in collaboration with additional Google Apps for Education productivity tools allows teachers and students flexibility to create authentic projects which can be shared with as few as one person or to everyone in the world. As you work through each of the links below, please keep in mind the following questions.
What are a few specific lesson ideas mentioned by educators in the videos?
How do the enhancements of Google Apps and Extensions support student learning?
What are the advantages of using Google Apps and Extensions?
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Formative Assessment Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Math Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Creation Tool Apps
- Tech Tips From Teachers: Student Tool Apps
- 5 Google Extensions that Will Get Teachers Hooked!
- 5 Favorite Chrome Extensions for Educators
Choose one of the following assignments to complete and submit as evidence that you have mastered the information and applications found in the course. Refer to the Choice Board Evaluation Rubric and the Guidelines for Submitting Your Assignment to ensure your evidence contains the necessary elements.
Choice 1: Apps and Extensions Check List
Create an Apps and Extensions checklist. Use the blog post, “Ways to Evaluate Educational Apps,” as a reference. The checklist must be original to your classroom, must be complete and must include a variety of considerations. To earn the badge, submit the checklist as well as three Apps or Extensions that were evaluated with a completed checklist for each App or Extension.
Choice 2: Top 10+ List
Create a list of ten or more Apps and Extensions that support your classroom. The list should include the name of the Apps or Extension, a link to the Chrome Store URL to install the App or Extension, a description and a short summary of how the App and Extension support your instructional goals.
Choice 3: Lesson Plan
Create a lesson plan incorporating Google Apps and Extensions. Create a lesson plan emphasizing student choice through the use of Google Apps and Extensions. The lesson plan should be complete including instructional goals, standards covered, description of the activity, learner outcomes, materials, activities, and an assessment. The Google App or Extension may be included in any aspect of the lesson.
- How does Google Apps and Extensions enhance the Google Chrome experience for teachers?
- How does Google Apps and Extensions enhance the Google Chrome experience for students?
- What is the biggest challenge you saw or foresee when including Google Apps and Extensions in your lessons?
- Exit Ticket – Show what you know!
Ready to earn your badge and get credit for this five-hour course?