Written by: Nick Houser
Date: November 3, 2017
In anticipation our November 3 show on Asian cuisine with guest Jeff Tsao, owner of Fukuryu Ramen, we revisited Fukuryu, one of our favorite fast-service Asian restaurants.
We posted the original review in April 2016, soon after it opened on Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington. A new Fukuryu opened in October at 4540 Bridge Park Ave. in Dublin. Both are open daily for lunch and dinner.
WOSU All Sides with Ann Fisher host Ann Fisher, co-host Rich Terapak, and I convened for lunch. It was busy, but the order line moved quickly.
We have tasted and enjoyed several of Fukuryu’s 10 ramen dishes during previous visits. All made with from-scratch broths of pork bone, chicken, and chicken and fish, they are among the best in town.
We decided the ramen might be a little challenging to share more recently, so we ordered a large plate of house-made curry, fried panko chicken strips, potatoes and carrots and six small plates for three people, and it was more than enough. Each small dish was delicious, well prepared, and interesting.
- chopped pork belly and sweet onion drizzle on white rice;
- Japanese fried chicken nuggets with spicy yuzo (citrus) mayo;
- Fukuryu salad of romaine and cabbage with a sesame-ginger dressing and fried “pasta;”
- pan-fried pork and vegetable “gyoza” (dumplings) with dipping sauce;
- tebasaki seasoned shoestring fries with powdered seaweed and spicy mayo.
Upper Arlington Location
1600 W. Lane Ave.
Columbus, OH 43221
4540 Bridge Park Ave.
Dublin, OH 43017