All WOSU positions must be applied for at jobsatosu.com. Please do not email the stations directly.
Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
WOSU Public Media seeks a Senior Director of Marketing and Communications responsible for developing and implementing the marketing vision and strategy for growing audience, advancing financial support and building a positive image and awareness of WOSU Public Media.
Activities include external marketing to increase awareness and support for WOSU distribution channels, events, and activities; implementing effective public relations and promotional strategies; developing and executing special events; collaborating internally to build a strategic marketing/communications plan; developing and implementing a digital marketing strategy; and serving as WOSU’s brand manager.
Among the specific duties:
- Optimize awareness and audience of WOSU programming and services provided by 89.7 NPR News, Classical 101, WOSU-PBS television, WOSU Passport, WOSU Classroom, podcasts, web streams, mobile app, and other digital properties.
- Develop and implement institutional messaging to elevate WOSU’s community status
- Develop and implement messaging to build membership, corporate, foundation, major giving and other support
- With the completion of a new WOSU headquarters in 2020, energize the building’s internal and external experience to generate excitement and interest
- Develop and implement an institutional digital marketing strategy
- Design and implement effective public relations and promotional strategies
- Oversee messaging for consistency in content and branding on-air, in print, and through digital and social media distribution
- Build local collaborations for joint marketing and special project initiatives
- Identify and track appropriate criteria to measure success
- Supervise a professional staff, students, volunteers and associated vendors involved with the division’s activities; select, hire, train, coach, and assure positive performance and morale
- Maintain the highest integrity in all divisional efforts consistent with industry standards and those outlined in the WOSU Code of Editorial Integrity
- Develop and manage an annual budget appropriate to the annual goals of the division
- Serve as the organization’s spokesperson as needed; serve as a member of the WOSU Public Media executive leadership team
- Perform other duties as assigned
WOSU went on the air in 1920 with an experimental license as one of the first radio stations in the country. Today, it is a multimedia producer of quality noncommercial programming and a curator of PBS and NPR national programming. WOSU has a budget of over $14 million with 72 full time staff. The largest source of funding for the organization is from individual members. It has won numerous Emmy Awards for local television programming and has been honored to be named the best radio news station and best radio news web site in Ohio by the Society of Professional Journalists.
WOSU Public Media is licensed to The Ohio State University and is served by the community-based Friends of WOSU advisory board. For more information, review the 2017 WOSU Public Media Community Report and other information at Reports to the Public page.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or other discipline related to the marketing or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- At least seven years of professional experience in the field including supervisory experience.
- Progressively responsible management experience in marketing, communications, nonprofit management, and/or fundraising.
- Must have three years experience creating and implementing integrated marketing communications plans.
- Must have a thorough understanding of digital marketing. Excellent project management and presentation skills and a passion for the mission and goals of public media.
- Advanced degree or training in marketing, communications, or related area.
- The successful candidate will show an ability to be creative and nimble in an ever changing marketing environment, able to work productively in a highly collaborative workplace, be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and be deadline driven.
- Demonstrated skill in managing and motivating creative professionals, building an effective team and a positive work environment.
- Experience in public media or other non-profit management a plus.
December 16, 2018
Apply at jobsatosu.com.
All Sides with Ann Fisher Intern
All Sides with Ann Fisher is a public-affairs, call-in talk show on 89.7 FM WOSU Public Media. The show is streamed live, distributed as a podcast and archived at wosu.org/allsides. The show is also broadcasted live on the Ohio Government Channel throughout Ohio. All Sides covers the issues that are important to Central Ohio, and it tackles national politics and conversations with experts and real people.
Write scripts, research guests for shows, pitches show ideas, assists producers to book and write shows, prepare briefing materials for host, attend weekly editorial meetings, schedule shows and confirm guests, write program descriptions, screen listener calls for inclusion on show.
Training provided for technical duties that include producing and editing repeat programs, uploading podcasts, editing audio, and building posts on website.
- News Judgement
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Script Writing
- Booking Guests
- Driver’s License
Degree Level: Bachelor
Position Type: Internship
Desired Class Level(s): Sophomore, Junior, and Senior
Work Authorization: Eligible to work with visa sponsorship, Eligible to work without visa sponsorship
This is a university student assistant position
It is unpaid and no benefits.
Graduate Students receiving a university fellowship or assistantship are not eligible. A student assistant position does not provide a tuition waiver or stipend.
- Must be a current OSU student.
- Must have a genuine interest in news, policy issues, and broadcast journalism.
- Must be able to write broadcast-style copy. Newspaper or broadcast script writing experience is helpful.
- Must have library and Internet research skills.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Must be able to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Term Available: Spring Semester
Position Level: Part-time
Desired Major(s): College of Arts and Sciences/Undergraduate
Base Salary: Not Applicable – Unpaid Position
Desired Start Date: January 3, 2019
Approximate Hours Per Week: 20 – Must be able to work 4 hours, either morning or afternoon.
Please send all documents (cover Letter and resume) to: firstname.lastname@example.org