WOSU Public Media is seeking students interested in a professional experience at an award-winning public media organization. Students will work closely with WOSU staff and will be assigned to a specific department, but will also be given special projects to be able to collaborate with colleagues across different divisions.
Our goal is to provide a unique and valuable experience to Fellows, sparking a potential career in public broadcasting. Periodic discussions with WOSU leadership will offer a broader perspective of public media to Fellows and assist WOSU in refining the program in the coming years. WOSU seeks to reflect the diversity of its population through its staff, students and programming to best serve the people of central Ohio.
- Marketing Coordinator
- Radio Production Assistant (89.7 NPR News)
- Radio Production Assistant (Classical 101)
- Digital Producer
The applicant must be enrolled at The Ohio State University, in good academic standing as a sophomore or higher rank, having earned at least 29 credit hours. The applicant must match the requirements of a specific position as defined by a hiring department at WOSU Public Media. The applicant must be available to work 20 hours a week.
A Fellowship is a one-year position running concurrent with the academic year at The Ohio State University. The open positions are posted on the Ohio State University Student Job Board and promoted, on multiple outlets, with student organizations. The deadline for submitting applications/resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org is Monday, July 16, 2018.
Student employees are restricted to working 28 hours per week during academic terms in which they are enrolled and 38 hours per week during their off academic terms and official school breaks. This position is located at The Fawcett Center for Tomorrow, 2400 Olentangy River Rd. This is a paid position with a hiring range of $10-$15 and hourly rate will be determined based on skill set.
One year- August 20, 2018 to August 31, 2019 (available through the summer semester but not necessary – will take students through Spring semester)
A written evaluation of a student’s work is to be completed by the student’s supervisor at the end of the fall semester and the end of the spring semester. The evaluation form is attached.
Student employees are at-will and serve at the discretion of the employing department.
The supervisor should give two weeks advance notice of termination. A student employee who is found in violation of university rules or policies or who has engaged in misconduct may be terminated immediately without advance notice. A two week written advance notice for resignation is expected from a student employee.
The Marketing Coordinator will assist with the marketing of WOSU Public Media by supporting promotions and media relations plans.
Be responsible for developing promotional and PR copy for a variety of platforms and distribution channels
Work with cross-functional teams to support events and marketing campaigns
Provide administrative support to the Marketing Communications Team
Marketing & Promotions Support – 50%
- Attend monthly TV schedule meetings and develop copy for radio spots
- Monitor and update content for social media posts for local productions, like Columbus Neighborhoods and Broad & High, and for national PBS programming
- Develop promotional copy for variety of projects for all platforms: print (including Airfare magazine), radio, TV and digital media (including e-newsletters)
- Monitor and update content for dedicated websites, blogs or online show pages of local productions, like Off Air and columbusneighborhoods.org
- Competitive analysis and research of the marketplace
Media Relations – 20%
- Write press releases for new programs and initiatives
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with local press and look for PR opportunities
Special Events – 20%
- Research options, work with vendors and order marketing collateral for events
- Support Special Events Marketing Manager in event preparation and community outreach
Administrative Support – 10%
- Maintain marketing storage areas and catalog promotional items
- Provide overall assistance to Marketing Communications Team
- Studies in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing/Advertising or
- Journalism preferred
- Proficient in digital content management (web and social media)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Aptitude working with Microsoft Windows, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Commitment to WOSU Public Media goals and priorities
Radio Production Assistant (89.7 NPR News)
All Sides with Ann Fisher is a public-affairs, call-in talk show on 89.7 NPR News, FM radio for WOSU Public Media. The program is also streamed live throughout the state on the Ohio Government Channel and is podcasted.
The production assistant will play an integral role in the daily operation of the program fulfilling the following duties: write scripts; research program guests and issues; prepare briefing materials for host; attend weekly editorial meetings; suggest and develop ideas for programs; schedule programs and confirm guests; write program descriptions.
Training is provided for technical duties that include producing and editing repeat programs, uploading podcasts, writing web page content and screening calls for inclusion on the broadcast.
- Has genuine interest in news, policy issues, and broadcast journalism
- Must be organized and detail oriented
- Newspaper or broadcast script writing experience is desired
Radio Production Assistant (Classical 101)
Classical 101 is a 24-hour classical music service on 101.1 FM WOSU Public Media. Also broadcasting on WOSU 89.7 HD2, WOSB Delaware, WOSV Mansfield, WOSE Coshocton and WOSP Portsmouth. The program also streams live on wosu.org and is available on the WOSU Public Media app.
The production assistant will play an integral role in the ongoing project of digitizing Classical 101’s CD library. Tasks will include ripping, editing and data entry. The production assistant may also be called on to assist in the recording, voicing, and/or editing of promos and podcasts and to produce content for website and social media.
Training will be provided for technical duties.
- Has genuine interest in classical music
- Must be detail oriented and reliable
- Knowledge of classical music and/or foreign languages is desirable
- Preference will be given to music or communications majors
WOSU Public Media is seeking a talented storyteller to help create engaging content for our various digital outlets. Our digital audience was grown tremendously over the last few years and we need help to continue to create relevant and engaging digital content.
We are in need of a creative individual that can craft an online story, create compelling social media posts and assist with the development of podcast episodes and online videos.
- Experience writing and creating content, especially for the web and social media.
- Subject area knowledge in news and public affairs journalism and/or visual and performing arts.
- High degree of digital storytelling experience, including previous experience of online writing, podcasting and using social media both personally and professionally strongly preferred.
- Strong visual sense and the ability to select and edit photos using Adobe Photoshop or similar.
- Digital video experience preferred.
- Communications, journalism or english majors preferred.
- Ability to think creatively and exercise sound editorial judgement while working in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment.