From the WOSU Program Bulletin, published in 1945:
“Only by putting to worthy use the communication developments science has produced can a university hope to give leadership to a great people.”
WWII had held up the unveiling of a new radio band called Frequency Modulation or FM. In 1946, Ohio State University President Howard Bevis recommended to the Board of Trustees the school proceed with an application, which was accepted and WOSU-FM at 89.7 FM went on the air December 13, 1949.
A program bulletin from 1949 contained a brief statement of station policy:
“The Ohio State University operates WOSU primarily as an extension of University facilities to the people of Ohio. The great resources of the University on the campus are extended into your homes through WOSU. It is our policy to present education and information as well as other usual broadcast services in as attractive a manner as possible. Discussions of public questions in an unbiased, complete manner are regularly scheduled, as well as news and events of importance occurring at the University. We use many programs of good music to surround the educational activity in an attractive manner.”
Speaking of music, Alfred Vivian, Dean of the Ohio State Agriculture Department, brought his personal collection of 78-rpm records to WOSU throughout the 1940s and hosted weekly classical music programs, including “Treasured Music,” a longtime Sunday-morning favorite. Until this time, all music broadcasting was live in the studio, in classrooms, in concert halls, or from the networks. Several popular on-air personalities came to WOSU during the 1950s. Gene Gerrard became host of “In the Bookstall”, one of the station’s most popular programs. Fred Calland, who later became Cultural-Programming Editor at National Public Radio, became the WOSU-AM/FM music director.