Buckeye Landmarks

Our Ohio Stories: Buckeye Landmarks highlights over 20 historical landmarks of mid and central Ohio. From the ancient Indian Petroglyphs near Leo, to the oldest covered bridge in Coshocton County, to the ghosts of the Buxton Inn in Granville, and the Civil War era castles of the Piatt family near West Liberty, Buckeye Landmarks weaves its way through historically important locations and explores the social, cultural, and historical identity of Ohio.

Each landmark continues open to the public today, so enjoy the show and then explore our heritage in person!

Piatt Castles

Platt CastlesNear West Liberty along State Route 245 are two historic homes: Mac-A-Cheek Castle and Mac-O-Chee Castle. Built by the Piatt brothers, these buildings housed several generations of Piatts and served as an active political and literary site. Both Mac-A-Cheek and the Mac-O-Chee castles reflect the men who built them and each generation of the Piatt family has continued to contribute to literature, science, and the arts.

Piatt Castles
State Route 245 1 mile east of West Liberty, Ohio
937-465-2821
www.piattcastles.org

Ada Depot

Ada DepotThe small town of Ada, 17 miles east of Lima, Ohio, is home to a unique landmark of railroad history. The depot, built in 1887 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, is one of the few “Stick Style” wooden stations still preserved in Ohio. The site of many political forums in its early years, the Ada depot hosted the whistle-stop campaigns of Warren G. Harding and William B. McKinley. Reflecting the legacy of craftsmen at the peak of their prowess, the Ada depot served as Ohio’s window to the world.

Ada Depot
100 S. Main Street
Ada, Ohio
Contact Hardin County Tourist and Convention Bureau
419-674-4590

Kenton Toy Manufacturing Company

Kenton Toy Manufacturing CompanyLocated on State Route 67 in Kenton, Ohio is the Kenton Lock Manufacturing Company—the Kenton Toy Manufacturing Company—which created close to ten thousand designs of cast-iron toys. The Toy Company was at one time the greatest iron toy manufacturing plant in the world. These toys, now collectibles, were cast and painted by hand, each one a unique treasure during a time when toys were gradually becoming mass produced and impersonal.

Kenton Toy Manufacturing Company
Contact the Hardin County Historical Museums, Inc.
223 N. Main St.
Kenton, Ohio, 43326
419-673-7147

Rickenbacker Airport

Rickenbacker AirportOriginally a training site for B-17 pilots during the Second World War, the airport was renamed in the 1970s to honor Eddie Rickenbacker, one of America’s heroes. The Tuskegee Airman, housed at the site, would go on to spark fronts on the civil rights movement and were the first to integrate troops. Today, the airport is an international foreign trade center and home to the Ohio Air National Guard.

Rickenbacker Airport
South Alum Creek drive from 270
www.rickenbacker.org

Hanby House

Hanby HouseIn Westerville, north of Columbus, sits the Hanby House, home to abolitionist, teacher, minister, and composer Benjamin Russel Hanby. Built in 1854, the house was an active stop along the Underground Railroad. Famous for his songs, Hanby penned “My Darling Nelly Gray,” a ballad destined to become the anthem for the abolitionist movement. Benjamin Hanby’s music lives on today, and his legacy can be celebrated at the Hanby House, now a museum.

Hanby House
160 W. Main St.
Westerville, Ohio 43081
(614) 891-6289
800-600-6843
www.ohiohistory.org/places/hanby/

Buxton Inn

Buxton InnThe Buxton Inn, located in Granville, is the only historic tavern still in continuous service. Built in 1812, the Inn lodged President William McKinley, Henry Ward Beecher, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and other American icons. Rumors abound that the Inn is haunted by two ghosts! Through the years, this building has served as a school, a church, and even a courthouse. A Kentucky slave named John stood trial here for extradition and was exonerated by Judge Samuel Bancroft who ruled that the Black Code of Ohio was unconstitutional, thus changing Ohio’s history forever.

Buxton Inn
313 East Broadway
Granville, Ohio 43023
740-587-0001
www.buxtoninn.com

Granville Female Academy

Granville Female AcademyThe Victorian House next door was built around 1880 and was at one time used as boarding rooms for students at the Granville Female Academy.

The Granville Female Academy sits at the corner of Main and Elm and was completed in 1834 for a cost of about three thousand dollars. Although remodeled in the Greek Revival style, the fanlike features and the refined molded cornice with gable returns show this building as a mature Federal Style. Young women paid sixty cents a week to study arithmetic, writing, orthography and natural philosophy.

Granville Female Academy
Corner of Main and Elm
Granville, Ohio 43023

Johnstown Opera House and Jail

Johnstown Opera HouseIn the middle of Johnstown, Ohio, sits the Opera House, a building that hosted lectures, plays, musical revivals, and vaudeville acts, as well as serving as the site where William Jennings Bryan delivered one the most famous speeches in America during his campaign for the presidency. Ohio once had over 50 opera houses, but today, only seven still exist: the Johnstown Opera House is one of them. The program also features the Johnstown Jail, situated a block away from the Opera House. Only one of two rare jails left in Licking County, the Johnstown Jail is a unique landmark of Ohio.

Johnstown Opera House and Jail
Town Square, Johnstown Ohio
Tours by appointment only
740-967-8506

Hemlick Bridge

Hemlick BridgeLocated in Coshocton County, The Hemlick Bridge was built in 1863 during the Civil War. Covered bridge enthusiasts admire its multiple Kingpost Truss Type, one of the oldest truss designs with two spans, a feature that makes the Hemlick Bridge unique. Of over 100 covered bridges that once existed in Coshocton County, only The Hemlick Bridge remains, a distinct landmark and one still in use today.

Hemlick Bridge
East on country road 25 from Blissfield, north on CR 343

Malabar Farms

Malabar FarmsJust south of Mansfield sits Malabar Farms, 914 acres of land developed by Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Louis Bromfield. A dedicated conservationist, Bromfield farmed this land using new ideas about soil preservation. Also situated on the farm is Broomfield’s custom made 32-room home, which housed not only the Bromfield family, but many Hollywood visitors. Today, Malabar Farm remains a working farm with livestock and crops and is operated by the State’s division of parks and recreation.

Malabar Farm State Park
4050 Bromfield Road
Lucas, Ohio 44843
(419) 892-2784 Park Office
www.malabarfarm.org/

Harding Memorial

Harding MemorialWarren G. Harding, was the twenty-ninth president of the United States. Just south of Marion on state route 423, sits the Harding Memorial. The classic Greek style monument is made of white Georgia marble and sits in a ten-acre landscaped park. Although it cost nearly eight hundred thousand dollars to build in the late 1920s, it was financed with mostly public donations including numerous “dime” contributions from schoolchildren.

Harding Memorial
Friends of Harding
c/o The Harding Home
380 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Marion, Oh 43302
Telephone: (800) 600-6894
Fax: (740) 375-0213
Harding Memorial

The Old Student Union

The Old Student UnionOn the campus of The Ohio State University sits the old Ohio Student Union Building. Opened in the spring of 1911, it was the first student union to be built at a state university and the fourth of its kind in the United States. The Union was a place for students to meet and offered a venue for social, religious, educational and musical groups. The Union remains a permanent fixture on the University’s campus.

The Old Student Union
110 Enarson Hall
154 W. 12th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone (614) 247-6281

The Thurber House

Thurber HouseThe Thurber house, just east of downtown Columbus, was home to author and humorist, James Thurber, who began his career at OSU’s The Lantern and the Columbus Dispatch. Today, the Thurber House is an active literary center with guest writers such as Toni Morrison, John Updike, and Garrison Keillor conducting workshops and readings.

77 Jefferson Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
ph: 614-464-1032
fx: 614-280-3645
www.thurberhouse.org/

Sherman House and Georgian Museum

Sherman House and Georgian MuseumOne block from the historic Sherman birthplace lies the resplendent Georgian home, now museum, begun in 1830 and completed in 1832. The architectural style of the house is called Federalist, emphasizing balance in all rooms. All furnishings are authentic to the period, and several items have been donated to the museum by descendants of the original residents, among them an empire couch with a wood-carved end that is actually a safe in which valuable family items could be hidden from potential robbers. Above the hand-carved marble fireplace hangs a portrait of the home’s original occupant, successful businessman and entrepreneur Samuel H. McCracken, best remembered for his role in financing the Ohio canal system. The museum possesses a display by the famed African American woodcarver, Elijah Pierce. Operated as a living museum by the Fairfield Heritage Association, the Georgian is available for tours and private rentals.

Sherman House and Georgian Museum
Operated by the Fairfield Heritage Association
105 E. Wheeling St.
Lancaster, OH 43103
(740) 654-9923
email: info@fairfieldheritage.org
website: www.fairfieldheritage.org

Philip Moore Stone House

Philip Moore Stone HouseThe Philip Moore Stone House was built with weathered sandstone rock found in the Southern Ohio region. Philip Moore, a Revolutionary War veteran, started the building in 1797, and people now still marvel at its exquisite design and durability. There are two large fire places on each side of the massive living room used to heat this all-stone house. The back of the house holds some of the original tools used in construction. Also, there is grave stone of Philip Moore, and another stone with Daniel Boone’s autograph. The beginning of The Methodist church in Ohio began here at the Philip Moore Stone House.

Philip Moore Stone House
Portsmouth, Ohio
Phone 614-353-5605

Underground Railroad

underground railroadOn the banks of the Ohio River sits Marietta, a quiet town in Washington County. The history of Ohio’s Underground Railroad begins here, as Marietta served as a focal point for slaves heading north looking for freedom. A total of sixteen underground stations were sprinkled throughout Washington County alone, and although they look no different from their neighbors, each house holds a unique place in a dangerous era.

Underground Railroad
Marietta, Ohio
Henry Robert Burke
Southeast Coordinator,
Ohio Underground Railroad Association
Phone 740-373-0218

The Buckeye Furnace State Memorial

Buckeye FurnaceThe Buckeye Furnace State Memorial is representative of the 80 charcoal-fired blast furnaces once found in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. Built in 1852, the furnace was last fired in 1894. One-hundred furnace workers and their families lived in company-created communities made up of modest, company-provided housing. Instead of cash, furnace workers were paid in company script, issued by the furnace company, which was the only currency acceptable at the company store. As the store freely offered credit, the furnace workers were continually in debt and thus forced to remain in servitude to the company. The museum has period items on display as well as samples of materials used in the production of pig iron. The Buckeye Furnace State Memorial serves as a mute testimony to an era which came and went, leaving few reminders of a past era.

The Buckeye Furnace State Memorial
Operated by the Ohio Historical Society
Site phone (800) 860-0144

Leo Petroglyphs

Leo PetroglyphsThe petroglyphs (rock carvings or inscriptions) are located near the village of Leo and represent outstanding examples of prehistoric artwork: 37 drawings of humans and animals cut into sandstone. The petroglyphs are attributed to the Fort Ancient Indians. Park is open year round during daylight hours.

Leo Petroglyphs
c/o Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
(614) 297-2630
Toll free (800) 686-1535

Hopewell Mounds

Hopewell MoundsThe Hopewell Culture National Historical Park, located in the Scioto River Valley near Chillicothe, was once populated by the Hopewell Indians, a broad intermixing of Native American groups inhabiting portions of North America from 200 B.C. to 500 A.D. The Hopewell Indians are best remembered for being a culture of mound builders. The Park contains 24 mounds, each of which cover the remains of a charnel house, cremated burial grounds, and special ritual deposits. Park is open year-round from 8:30 am to 5 pm.

Hopewell Culture National Historical Park
Operated by the Nation Parks Service
(740) 774-1125

Olentangy Park and Mangels Illions Carousel

Mangels Illions CarouselAmusement parks became popular during the 1880s, as trolley companies looked for ways to generate more money on the weekend by placing such parks at the end of its line. Olentangy Park was one of those parks attracting weekend visitors with its roller-coasters, bowling alleys, and carousels. A grand feature of Olentangy Park, the Marcus Illions’ carousel, was moved to Wyandot Lake when the park closed.

Olentangy Park and Mangels Illions Carousel
Columbus Zoo
9990 Riverside Drive
Phone 645-3400

Kelton House

Kelton HouseOn East Town Street in Columbus sits Kelton House, built in 1852. A prominent stop along the Underground Railroad, three generations of Keltons lived in this home. While known primarily for their work with the Railroad, the Keltons also believed in gender equality; Kelton women were among the first to attend The Ohio State University. The house remains a Victorian haven in the heart of Columbus.

Kelton House Museum and Garden
A community service of the junior league of Columbus
586 E. Town St.
Columbus, Ohio
Phone 464-2022