Someone at a recent Kiwanis Club gathering asked what the listening trends were for classical music in America. A 2010 report from Arbitron called Public Radio Today: How America Listens to Radio has the most recent data. Here are a few highlights:
- Classical Music stations have over 6 million listeners every week
- Classical listening skews older with 68% of listeners over 55 years of age
- Yet, the data shows Classical listeners are trending younger than the year before
- Listening to Classical stations had a growth spurt rising in share of listening from year before
- Listeners average nearly 5 hours of time spent listening a week
This bodes well, we believe, for our delivery of a new all-classical radio station to the Columbus market in fall!
Category: WOSU General