Last year, real-estate developer and art collector Ron Pizzuti opened the doors to the Pizzuti Collection in the Short North, a venue at which to showcase his vast art collection. After purchasing his first piece of art in 1972, he has since amassed more than 1,500 works by artists ranging from Frank Stella to Ai [...]
Cleveland Kidnapping Suspect Competent For Trial
A man charged with holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade and raping them has been found competent to stand trial.
A Cuyahoga County judge said during a hearing Wednesday that an examination found that 52-year-old Ariel Castro is mentally able to understand the charges and assist attorneys in his defense.
Castro has pleaded not guilty to a 329 count indictment that includes multiple kidnapping and rape charges. He’s being held on an $8 million bond.
Authorities accuse him of kidnapping the women between 2002 and 2004 when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.
A trial is scheduled for Aug. 5, but the judge said it could be delayed.