Cincinnati Marathon Reviewing Security Procedures

The race's executive director, Iris Simpson-Bush, says the race already has extensive security and medical response plans in place, but officials will consider whether additional measures are needed.(Photo: Flying Pig marathon/Mark Bowen)
The race's executive director, Iris Simpson-Bush, says the race already has extensive security and medical response plans in place, but officials will consider whether additional measures are needed.(Photo: Flying Pig marathon/Mark Bowen)

Organizers of Cincinnati’s upcoming Flying Pig Marathon plan are reviewing security measures in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon explosions.

A previously planned meeting with police Tuesday takes on added urgency with the annual race weekend coming up May 3-5. As many as 33,000 people are expected to take part in downtown Cincinnati for a weekend of races highlighted by the 15th marathon Sunday morning.

The race’s executive director, Iris Simpson-Bush, says the race already has extensive security and medical response plans in place, but officials will consider whether additional measures are needed.

Among the Ohioans in Boston for Monday’s race were the chief prosecutor for Cuyahoga County and the wife of Ohio’s secretary of state.

There weren’t any immediate reports of Ohioans being among the injured.

Comments