An Ohio Man’s February Execution Halted

Ohio man's execution halted.(Photo: S. Falkow (Flickr))
Ohio man's execution halted.(Photo: S. Falkow (Flickr))

A federal judge with no objection from the state has stopped next month’s Ohio execution of a man who says he’s innocent in an arson fire that killed his 3-year-old son.

Michael Webb has argued that a leading arson expert can prove the 1990 fire in southwest Ohio could have been set anywhere in the house, and not just near a closet or bathroom.

Webb says that fact backs up his argument that someone else did it.

A federal judge on Thursday delayed Webb’s Feb. 22 execution after a brief teleconference a day earlier in which the state said it didn’t oppose the delay.

Attorneys for the 65-year-old Webb say his situation is the same as another inmate whose execution is on hold over challenges to Ohio’s lethal injection process.

Comments