Careers at WOSU
IMPORTANT: All WOSU positions must be applied for at jobsatosu.com. Please do not email the stations directly.
2 Positions are available
Do you love public radio and public TV?
We have a multi-platform sales opportunity available at WOSU!
WOSU is seeking a high-energy and persuasive sales professional to join our sales team at 89.7 NPR News | Classical 101| WOSU TV (PBS) in Columbus, OH. As an account executive you will be responsible for the sale of radio and TV sponsorship messages, digital media and events. This is an outside sales position where you will manage an active account list and have a focus on developing new business by cold-calling and following a consultative sales approach.
Summary of Corporate Sponsorship Sales
Daily life of an account executive in public broadcasting is similar to that of a salesperson in commercial broadcasting or local print media. You will be expected to make cold-calls to decision makers at local businesses, meet with them to understand their marketing needs and develop proposals that offer marketing solutions to help them grow their businesses. This is a full life cycle sales position in that you will prospect, conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals, close the deal, write copy and service the account.
The mission of WOSU Public Media is to enrich lives through content and experiences that engage, inform, and inspire. WOSU has a long history of accomplishments dating back to its founding as one of the first educational radio stations in the country. Today, with over 180,000 listeners per week, over 500,000 monthly viewers, and a strong digital media presence, WOSU is a prestigious public media organization serving the citizens of Ohio with a meaningful mission.
In order to represent WOSU this position requires:
- Passion for the product. Are you a big fan of NPR? Of PBS? Knowledgeable about WOSU programming? Do you understand public broadcasting’s mission?
- Relationship building. Do you have the ability to build rapport with people face-to-face and virtually to achieve business relationships that are credible and trustworthy?
- Thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communications skills. Do you have experience creating credible and professional visual presentations and proposals?
- Critical thinking and analytical skills. Do you have experience researching market data and using it appropriately to sell a product?
- The ability to secure new business by using a disciplined sales process. Can you create a sales plan and execute it?
- Time and goal management. Do you manage time and resources, prioritize effectively and achieve set goals?
- A collaborative personality. Do you value communicating with management and peers for feedback/insight?
- 3+ years of media sales experience. Preference will be given to candidates with broadcast and digital experience.
- 4 year college degree. Marketing / Business related field is preferred.
When applying for this position please upload ONE document containing: (1) a letter explaining your interest and how your skills are aligned to this position and (2) your resume. This is your opportunity to sell us on being a strong candidate for this position!
- Base Salary range: $30,000 – $35,000 plus competitive commission structure
- Target Hiring Range: $55,000-$60,000 total compensation, including commissions
- A Competitive Benefits Package which can be viewed at http://hr.osu.edu/benefits
To apply for this position YOU MUST complete the application process online at https://www.jobsatosu.com/postings/59912.
Deadline for applications is February 1, 2015.