Saturday on Stage Returns with Opera Columbus “Figaro”
Saturday on Stage begins a new season of opera broadcasts this Saturday at 1:30 p.m. We’ll be together every Saturday afternoon through November with your favorites, plus a share of operas that are rarely heard.
The festivities begin with Opera Columbus‘s production of Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro. Remember the subtitle of this opera, baaed on a play by Beaumarchais is Une folle journee, One Crazy Day.
Here’s a video introduction for this weekend’s broadcast of Figaro from WOSU’s ArtZine:
Opera Columbus returns on June 4th with Gounod’s Romeo et Juliette. You know the drill on that one: Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy and girl kill themselves, everybody sings, curtain calls are great, and it’s all good.
Here’s the schedule through June. Saturdays at 1:30 p.m., with my own pithy (or obnoxious) commentary
- May 28 – Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro (Opera Columbus)
- June 4 Â - Gounod: Romeo et Juliette (Opera Columbus)
- June 11 – Verdi: Don Carlo with Placido Domingo, Sherrill Milnes, Shirley Verrett and Montserrat Caballe, conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini
- June 18 – Offenbach: Vert-Vert, a naughty operetta from 19th century Paris
- June 25 – Mozart: Idomeneo from the 1964 Glyndebourne Festival, with Richard Lewis and Luciano Pavarotti
Join me Saturdays at 1:30 p.m., immediately following Serenata
Coming in July: Gilbert and Sullivan; Wagner’s The Flying Dutchman with Jane Eaglen and Daniel Barenboim; and Monteverdi’s The Return of Ulysses, with Frederica von Stade and Richard Stilwell.