Curator Melissa Wolfe talks about the inspiration we can all take away from the Columbus Museum of Arts newest exhibition showcasing the work of home town hero George Bellows. George Bellows and the American Experience through January 4, 2014. This exhibition follows on the heels of a major retrospective of the artist organized by the [...]
Complete Guide to Ohio Summer Classical Music Festivals
As summer music festival season gets into full swing, here’s a roundup of what to look forward to at classical music festivals and summer concert series around the state this summer.
Which festivals are you looking forward to? Leave a comment and let us know which performances you’ll be attending!
Blossom Festival (Cleveland Orchestra)
When: June 2 – September 10
What: Each year the Cleveland Orchestra gives a series of concerts at the Blossom Music Center’s outdoor amphitheater, where families can enjoy a variety of classical repertoire each weekend.
Where: Blossom Music Center (map)
- July 23 - Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 3 (Jon Kimura Parker, piano)
- July 30 – From Russia with Love (including Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto withÂ Christian Tetzlaff, violin)
- August 20/21 – The Joffrey Ballet (including Balanchine’s Stravinsky Violin Concerto)
- August 28 – On The Town (includes a selection of Three Dance Episodes from Bernstein’s On the Town and Weber’s Clarinet Concerto No. 2 with
Franklin Cohen, Clarinet)
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket information can be found on the festivalÂ website or by calling 216-231-1111. Children 17 and under admitted free to the lawn – full details in festival brochure (pdf)
Cincinnati Opera Summer Festival
When: June 16 – July 31
What: This years Cincinnati Opera summer festival is offering nine live opera performances at Cincinnati’s Music Hall.
Where: Cincinnati Music Hall (map)
- June 16/18 – Verdiâ€™sÂ Rigoletto
- June 30/July 2 – Adamsâ€™Â A Flowering Tree
- July 14/16 – Tchaikovskyâ€™sÂ Eugene Onegin
- July 27/29/31 â€“ Mozartâ€™sÂ The Magic Flute
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket informationÂ on the Cincinnati Opera’sÂ website or callÂ 513.241.2742.
Columbus Symphony Picnic with the Pops
When: June 18 – July 30
What: Each year the Columbus Symphony Pops performs pop/jazz music concerts on the lawn of the Chemical Abstracts Service (the series moves to Columbus CommonsÂ starting in 2012).
Where: Chemical Abstracts LawnÂ (map)
This year’s performances with the Columbus Symphony include:
- June 25 – The Music of Michael Jackson conducted by Brent Havens
- July 2 â€“ Patriotic Pops (including Gershwinâ€™s Rhapsody in Blue)
- July 23 â€“ The Spinners
- July 29/30 â€“ The Ohio State University Marching Band
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket informationÂ can be found on the festival website or by calling 614-228-8600.
Ohio Light Opera
When: June 18 – August 13
What: This summer, Ohio Light Operaâ€™s 2011 summer festival offers several new shows and some returning by popular demand.
Where: Freelander Theatre (map)
- Cole Porterâ€™sÂ Jubilee
- Victor Herbertâ€™sÂ The Fortune Teller
- Leo Fallâ€™sÂ Madame Pompadour
- Gilbert and Sullivanâ€™sÂ The Pirates of Penzance
- Franz LehÃ¡râ€™sÂ The Merry Widow
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket informationÂ on the Ohio LightÂ OperaÂ website or callÂ 330.263.2345.
Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
When: June 25 – August 6
What: Each year the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra puts on a series of shows at Riverbend Music Center.
Where: Riverbend Music Center (map)
- June 25 – Idina Menzel, the Tony award-winning â€œElphabaâ€ from Wicked, performs with the Pops
- July 4 – Red White & Boom
- August 6 – Hallelujah Broadway with the May Festival Chorus
When: July 21 – 30
What: Since 1985, the Lancaster Festival has been offering a 10-day event that includes a wide range of musical performances and family activities.
Where: Ohio University-Lancaster Campus (map)
Classical 101′sÂ Christopher Purdy is hosting aÂ CafÃ© Concert at Shawâ€™s Inn July 25 and an Opera Concert July 27. Keep an eye on the festival’s website for more details about the performance schedule.
More Information: Complete schedule and ticket informationÂ can be found on the festivalÂ website or by calling 740-653-8700.