89.7 NPR News Wins Outstanding News Operation From Ohio AP Media Editors
Receives First Place Awards in Five Other Categories
Contact: Meredith Hart, Marketing & Communications Director
614.247.2675 | firstname.lastname@example.org
COLUMBUS, OHIO, May 21, 2013 — 89.7 NPR News, the all-day NPR news radio station of WOSU Public Media, was awarded the 2012 Outstanding News Operation by the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors. The state-wide division of radio stations recognized covers major markets in Ohio, including Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Five first place awards were also given to 89.7 NPR News in a variety of categories.
Full Ohio APME award details are as follows:
- Best Feature Reporting – First place to 89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor Steve Brown for “Frances Carr, Angel for the Homeless”, a profile piece of the former director of a soup kitchen and food pantry in Franklinton.
- Extraordinary Coverage of a Scheduled Event – First place to Ann Fisher, host of ‘All Sides with Ann Fisher’ for “The Health Care Decision”, regarding the Supreme Court’s decision on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Best Breaking News Coverage – First place to 89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor Steve Brown and 89.7 NPR News Managing Editor Tom Borgerding for “Train Derailment and Fire”, covering the train derailment in July of 2012 south of the Ohio State Fairgrounds.
- Best Enterprise Reporting – First place to 89.7 NPR News Morning Host Debbie Holmes for “Ohio Farmers Blame Migrant Worker Shortage on Immigration Fears”, a piece on the potential for changes in state immigration laws.
- Best Investigative Reporting – First place to 89.7 NPR News Reporter Mandie Trimble for “Seedy Motels”, a look at the impact of dilapidated motels on the East Side of Columbus.
Comments by the Ohio APME judges for 89.7 NPR News’ award-winning entries included: “Great use of natural sound and descriptive writing”; “Good job getting the immediate information out to commuters”; and “Wonderful sound collection, editing and production.”
As stated in the bylaws of the Ohio Associated Press Media Editors Association, the main purposes of the Association are ‘to advance the profession of journalism’ and ‘to examine the news and the services of The Associated Press.’
89.7 FM NPR News is the only all-day NPR news radio station in central Ohio and specializes in news and public affairs programming, including ‘All Sides with Ann Fisher’, ‘Morning Edition’, and ‘All Things Considered’. Live audio streaming of the station is also available at wosu.org. WOSU Public Media is a community supported, noncommercial network of public radio and television stations.