Careers at WOSU
IMPORTANT: All WOSU positions must be applied for at jobsatosu.com. Please do not email the stations directly.
1 Position available
Do you love public radio and public tv?
We have a multi-platform sales opportunity available at WOSU!
WOSU is seeking a high-energy and persuasive sales professional to join our sales team at 89.7 NPR News | Classical 101| WOSU TV (PBS) in Columbus, OH. As an account executive you will be responsible for the sale of radio and TV sponsorship messages, digital media and events. This is an outside sales position where you will manage an active account list and have a focus on developing new business by cold-calling and following a consultative sales approach.
Summary of Corporate Sponsorship Sales
Daily life of an account executive in public broadcasting is similar to that of a salesperson in commercial broadcasting or local print media. You will be expected to make cold-calls to decision makers at local businesses, meet with them to understand their marketing needs and develop proposals that offer marketing solutions to help them grow their businesses. This is a full life cycle sales position in that you will prospect, conduct needs assessments, create and present proposals, close the deal, write copy and service the account.
The mission of WOSU Public Media is to enrich lives through content and experiences that engage, inform, and inspire. WOSU has a long history of accomplishments dating back to its founding as one of the first educational radio stations in the country. Today, with over 180,000 listeners per week, over 500,000 monthly viewers, and a strong digital media presence, WOSU is a prestigious public media organization serving the citizens of Ohio with a meaningful mission.
In order to represent WOSU this position requires:
- Passion for the product. Are you a big fan of NPR? Of PBS? Knowledgeable about WOSU programming? Do you understand public broadcasting’s mission?
- Relationship building. Do you have the ability to build rapport with people face-to-face and virtually to achieve business relationships that are credible and trustworthy?
- Thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communications skills. Do you have experience creating credible and professional visual presentations and proposals?
- Critical thinking and analytical skills. Do you have experience researching market data and using it appropriately to sell a product?
- The ability to secure new business by using a disciplined sales process. Can you create a sales plan and execute it?
- Time and goal management. Do you manage time and resources, prioritize effectively and achieve set goals?
- A collaborative personality. Do you value communicating with management and peers for feedback/insight?
- 3+ years of media sales experience. Preference will be given to candidates with broadcast and digital experience.
- 4 year college degree. Marketing / Business related field is preferred.
When applying for this position please upload ONE document containing: (1) a letter explaining your interest and how your skills are aligned to this position and (2) your resume. This is your opportunity to sell us on being a strong candidate for this position!
- Base Salary range: $30,000 – $35,000 plus competitive commission structure
- Target Hiring Range: $55,000-$60,000 total compensation, including commissions
- A Competitive Benefits Package which can be viewed at the following:
April 12, 2015
To apply for this position YOU MUST complete the application process online at:
WOSU Underwriting- Inside Sales Coordinator
Detailed Job Description
This position is a liaison between the sales, traffic, marketing, and business departments at WOSU Public Media. The Underwriting Coordinator is responsible for coordinating all aspects of the underwriting sales team’s efforts as they relate to marketing materials, market research, tracking, reporting, traffic, production, and sponsored events. Coordinator works collaboratively with all station departments including sales, traffic, digital, production, marketing, programming and the business office. Perform other duties as assigned.
40 percent – Enters client and contract information into the station’s traffic systems for radio and TV. Follow-up as needed with production elements for all radio and TV underwriting spots and coordinates w/radio and TV traffic on any missing elements. Maintains the underwriting department’s digital files; by station and by client. Maintain client databases for mailings, invitations, and client communications. Works collaboratively with all station departments including sales, traffic, digital, production, marketing, programming and the business office. Coordinates media sponsorships and sponsored events w/internal departments for on-air messaging, ad artwork, signage, event materials and staffing to ensure fulfillment.
35 percent – Prepares and updates monthly reports for UW team and business office. Coordinate underwriter program guide lists, print/digital ads, and ticket giveaways on a bi-weekly basis. Prints monthly affidavits for radio and TV for business office during monthly client billing and sends copies to business office. Attends monthly TV meetings and provides the Corporate Sales Manager with upcoming programming information. Provides an updated listing of corporate underwriters for the station’s public file on a quarterly basis.
20 percent – Work with account executives to reschedule any make-goods. Customize client proposal and package templates utilizing WOSU brand assets. Tracks all the various sponsored assets related to print and digital and any other local productions or events. Generates broadcast contracts, spot listings, and other reports as needed. Provides the Corporate Sales Manager with research and data for projects that will enhance the productivity of the sales staff.
5 percent – Performs related duties as assigned.
Cross Team Collaboration, Reporting/Analytics, Invoicing, Organization/Filing, Data Entry
Proficient in Microsoft Office products
April 19, 2015
To apply for this position you must complete the application process online at: